Translate with Google Translate
External Relations Associate
Posted on: 21 December 2016
Application deadline: 22 January 2017
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Develop and draft UNHCR UK public information and communications materials.
• Provide background briefings to local and international media.
• Administer UNHCR UK's digital platforms (Web, Twitter, Facebook);
• Produce regular impact reports of UNHCR UK digital and social media platforms;
• Monitor, test and improve the UNHCR UK website and social media platforms to boost online visibility and engagement and deliver content to a growing audience;
• Keep track of evolving issues concerning persons of concern to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
• Ensure that the office is kept informed of local developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office's activities.
• Establish contacts with local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues.
• May be required to compile information and SitReps received from the Field Offices and/or sections within the Office and consolidate into weekly/monthly/quarterly report.
• Prepare and, where appropriate, present briefings for various external actors including civil society, UK Parliament, and media.
• Assume any other external relations responsibilities that may be assigned by the Representative and or Senior External Relations Officer.
• Excellent research, analytical and drafting skills;
• Strong written and oral communication and advocacy skills;
• Excellent knowledge of English, working knowledge of another UN language is an asset;
• Strong knowledge of digital and social media standards and best practices;
• Knowledge of web content management systems.
• Education: University degree is desirable, preferably in communications, journalism, international relations, development.
• Work experience: At least six years of related professional experience, and preferably including some experience with external relations/communications and the use of digital and social media platforms in the UK refugee/asylum sector. UNHCR experience is also desirable.
Salary: starting from £31,108 (Income Tax-free - subjected to National Insurance contributions ONLY) depending on experience.
A written application form (P.11), available at www.unhcr.org and covering letter is required and should be sent to Human Resources, UNHCR, 10 Furnival Street, EC4A 1AB London or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject External Relations Associate
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The vacant position can initially only be filled in a replacement capacity as the previous incumbent of the post has the right to return within 12 - 18 months.